Flavours... an obsession



Hello!!!!!

Dear friends!One of my obssessions (no comments) is reading Cooking books and finding new interesting stuff... meaning new recipes... cooking secrets... easy recipies that make me see as a Godess with my invitees... Due to my work I travel a lot and I always stop in supermarkets to try and find different flavours (spieces, teas, coffees, cookies) and I also browse other countries cooking magazines and talk with new acquaintances about recipes and where to find them.Yesterday I returned from Chicago. And one of my companions (named Debbie) talked to me about this great magazine (I did not know about) named "Cook´s Illustrated" (America´s test kitchen). She sent me the link and... it is simply fantastic!!!!! All I have ever dreamt for is there! and I can´t tell about the mag itself! I will scan some recipes and publish them here...I will try and browse for other new stuff every day so as to share with you! Hope you like it as I do!

Now enjoy!!!!

Pages

viernes, 14 de enero de 2011

Chocolate Chip Meringues

30 cookies.   Published December 8, 2006.  
Cook´s Illustrated

Avoid making meringues on humid days, as they will never crisp. If your whites happen to have a little yolk or cracked shell in them, use a clean half eggshell to fish it out. Contrary to the old wive’s tale, we found that a speck or two of yolk won’t prevent the whites from whipping. If you have no cream of tartar, you can substitute 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice or white vinegar.

Ingredients

4large egg whites , room temperature
1/4teaspoon cream of tartar
1cup sugar (7 ounces)
3/4teaspoon vanilla extract
1cup mini chocolate chips

Instructions

  1. 1. Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 200 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. 2. With electric mixer, beat egg whites at medium-low speed until opaque and frothy, about 30 seconds. Add cream of tartar, increase speed to medium-high, and, watching carefully, beat egg whites until white, thick, voluminous, and consistency of shaving cream (see photo below), about 90 seconds. Slowly sprinkle in half of sugar and continue to beat until incorporated, about 60 seconds. Add vanilla. Reduce speed to lowest possible setting, sprinkle in remaining sugar, and mix just until incorporated.
  3. 3. Fold chocolate chips into the meringue.
  4. 4. Following illustration below, use 2 soupspoons to place dollops of meringue, 2 tablespoons each (about size of walnut), 1 inch apart, fitting 3 rows of 5 cookies on each sheet. Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until cookies have smooth, dry, and firm exteriors. Turn oven off and allow cookies to cool in oven for several hours. Once cool, store cookies in an airtight container, where they will keep for up to 2 weeks.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario